What is the meaning of privilege?
- Privilege means having special advantages or rights.
- A particular and peculiar benefit or advantage enjoyed by a person, company or society, beyond the common advantages of other citizens. A privilege may be a particular right granted by law or held by custom, or it may be an exemption from some burden to which others are subject
Yes, there is pandemic that the whole world is battling against. Does this stop us from being children of God? No! Does it mean God has stop loving us? No! Does it mean we have lost our privileges as children of God? No! Infact, we are privileged to be alive at such a time as this. The early church was looking forward to seeing things unfold leading to the second coming of Christ. The thing is not to be surprised, get overwhelmed or fearful as these things have already been told us by the Lord Jesus Christ in the book of Matthew Chapter 24. The assurance that we have as Christians is in the book whole of Psalm 91. Verse 10-11 says 10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. The Lord will keep you at this time in Jesus name.
Our job as Christians especially at such a time as this is to encourage others who do not know the Lord, sharing the good news of which is, Jesus coming on earth to die to save us all. John 3:16 says For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. So, it is important that we lead others into the kingdom so they can enjoy the privileges we are enjoying as sons and daughters of the most high God.
What are some of the privileges that we have as children of God?
- The privilege of continually coming into the presence of God. Let us avail ourselves of this daily through prayer, study of the word of God and the Church community of which we are part of. For it is our greatest honour.
- We have the privilege of being built into a house of God. We need one another. A brick has very little usefulness by itself. Also, because we are the house of God, we should be a holy place, set apart for God’s worship. Everything we do can be worship because we are his temple.
- The privilege of being servants of God, We should labour in prayer for others; we should serve others as servants of God in order to please and honour God.
- The privilege of sharing in the honour of Christ. The glory given to Jesus by Hs Father has been given to us (John 17:22). We are co-heirs with Christ, and therefore, recipients of the coming kingdom. This is the best time to share with those family members and friends who do not know the Lord.
- Here on this earth, we will be persecuted for our faith and mocked, but we will never ultimately suffer shame. We will be honoured before all when we get home to heaven. We will be honoured before the world and before all creation. Paul says in Romans 8:19 “The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed.” When it says creation waits in “eager expectation,” it gives the picture of creation “standing on their tippy-toes.” Creation, is waiting for the sons of God to be revealed so it can be set free.
In the same way, creation groans and waits for us. One day, there will be honour and privilege when we stand before God and creation. This was important for these suffering Christians to hear. Yes, they were being despised by society, hated without cause, and it would seem that their lot in life was shame.
Philippians 1:29 New Living Translation Paul says
For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him.
We have been given the privilege to suffer with Christ knowing those who put their faith in Christ will never ultimately be put to shame. One day, they will be honoured before all and share in the glory of Christ.
Hold on to God even at this time as churches are still closed. What an opportunity to draw more closer to God. Persecution will still arise but hold on to your faith and not give up.
Let us give glory to God for our great and awesome privileges. Amen
Written By Lydia